Pea farming is a lucrative agricultural enterprise in Kenya, and it is gaining popularity among farmers due to its high demand in the local and international markets. Garden peas, also known as sommerwood peas, are a popular variety of peas among farmers due to their high yield potential and nutritional value.
When it comes to pea farming, choosing the right seed variety is crucial for a successful harvest. Sommerwood peas are an excellent choice for farmers looking to venture into pea farming due to their adaptability to different soil types and climatic conditions. These peas thrive in deep, fertile, and well-drained sandy-loam soils with a pH range of 5.6-6.5. They can also tolerate temperatures ranging from 10-30°C and require an average rainfall of 400-500mm.
Furthermore, sommerwood peas are easy to propagate through direct sowing of seeds on moist soil, and planting in rows is highly recommended. Farmers can purchase good quality and fresh seeds from local suppliers or order them online. Depending on the variety, farmers will need about 35 to 40 kg seeds per acre. With proper care, sommerwood peas can provide farmers with a bountiful harvest and a good return on investment.
Importance of Choosing the Right Pea Seed
Choosing the right pea seed is crucial for successful pea farming in Kenya. The right seed will ensure a high yield, disease resistance, and quality produce. Here are some reasons why choosing the right pea seed is important:
- Yield: The right pea seed will produce a high yield, which is essential for profitable farming. A high-yielding variety will ensure that you get the most out of your land and labor.
- Disease Resistance: Pea plants are susceptible to various diseases, such as powdery mildew, root rot, and bacterial blight. The right pea seed will have disease resistance built-in, reducing the risk of crop loss and the need for costly treatments.
- Quality: The right pea seed will produce high-quality produce, which is essential for marketability. High-quality produce will fetch a higher price, ensuring a better return on investment.
When choosing the right pea seed, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Climate: Choose a pea seed that is best suited for the climate in your area. Pea seeds that are adapted to the local climate will produce a better yield and require less maintenance.
- Soil Type: The right pea seed will be compatible with the soil type in your area. Pea seeds that are adapted to the local soil type will have better root development and nutrient uptake, resulting in a higher yield.
- Market Demand: Choose a pea seed that is in high demand in the market. This will ensure that you have a ready market for your produce, reducing the risk of unsold produce and resulting in higher profits.
Overall, choosing the right pea seed is essential for successful pea farming in Kenya. By considering the climate, soil type, and market demand, you can choose a pea seed that will produce a high yield, disease resistance, and quality produce.
Also Read: Peas Farming In Kenya
Characteristics of Sommerwood Pea Seed
Sommerwood pea seed is a popular variety of pea seed used for pea farming in Kenya. It is known for its high yield and resistance to common diseases that affect peas. Here are some of the key characteristics of Sommerwood pea seed:
- Resistance to wilt and root rot diseases
- High yield potential
- Large seed size
- Early maturity
- Good flavor and texture
- Adaptable to different soil types
One of the biggest advantages of Sommerwood pea seed is its resistance to wilt and root rot diseases. These diseases are common in pea farming and can significantly reduce yield. By planting Sommerwood pea seed, farmers can reduce the risk of disease and increase their chances of a successful harvest.
Another key characteristic of Sommerwood pea seed is its high yield potential. This variety of pea seed is known for producing large quantities of peas per plant, which can help farmers increase their profits.
Sommerwood pea seed is also known for its large seed size, which can make it easier to handle during planting. In addition, this variety of pea seed matures early, which means that farmers can harvest their crop sooner and potentially sell it at a higher price.
Overall, Sommerwood pea seed is a great choice for farmers looking to grow peas in Kenya. Its resistance to disease, high yield potential, and other key characteristics make it a reliable and profitable option for pea farming.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Sommerwood Pea Seed
Choosing the right sommerwood pea seed is a critical decision for any farmer looking to grow peas in Kenya. The following factors should be considered when selecting somerwood pea seed:
- Yield potential: Look for sommerwood pea seed varieties with a high yield potential. This will ensure that you get the most out of your farming efforts.
- Disease resistance: Choose sommerwood pea seed varieties that are resistant to common pea diseases such as powdery mildew and root rot. This will help protect your crop and ensure a healthy harvest.
- Adaptability: Consider the adaptability of the sommerwood pea seed variety to your specific growing conditions. Look for seed that is suited to your climate, soil type, and other environmental factors.
- Seed quality: Ensure that the sommerwood pea seed you select is of high quality. Look for seed that is clean, free from debris, and has a high germination rate.
- Seed cost: Consider the cost of the sommerwood pea seed. While it is important to invest in high-quality seed, it is also important to ensure that the cost is reasonable and within your budget.
By taking these factors into consideration, you can choose the right sommerwood pea seed variety for your farming needs. This will help ensure a successful and profitable harvest.
Choosing the right seed for your pea farming in Kenya is essential for a successful harvest. The Sommerwood variety of garden peas is an excellent choice due to its high yield, disease resistance, and adaptability to different ecological conditions.
When planting Sommerwood peas, it is crucial to ensure that the soil is deep, fertile, and well-drained sandy-loam with a pH of 5.6-6.5. The temperature range should be between 10-30°C, and the average rainfall should be 400-500mm. Direct sowing of seeds on moist soil is highly recommended, and planting in rows is also essential.
Spacing is also crucial when planting Sommerwood peas. According to KALRO, the recommended spacing is 20-25kg/ha (8-10kg per acre), with 3-4 seeds per hill. Seedlings should be thinned to one after two weeks, and the seed should be planted 4-5cm deep and covered.
When it comes to harvesting, it is essential to straight combine field pea when the seed moisture content has reached 18% to 20%. If weed growth is present, do not wait for green weed growth to dry down. Field pea can be swathed to preserve quality if crop maturity is uneven or heavy weed pressure is present.
Overall, the Sommerwood variety of garden peas is an excellent choice for farmers looking to maximize their yield and minimize the risk of disease. By following the proper planting and harvesting techniques, farmers can ensure a successful and profitable harvest of Sommerwood peas.
Sources: van der Bom, Frederik. “Response of Phaseolus vulgaris L. and Pisum sativum L. to N and P fertilizers and inoculation with Rhizobium in Kenya.” (2012). Link: https://n2africa.org/sites/default/files/MSc%20thesis%20F%20van%20der%20Bom.pdf
Mostovenko, Voldemar, et al. “Garden pea yield and its quality indicators depending on the technological methods of growing in conditions of Vinnytsia region.” Acta fytotechnica et zootechnica:: ISSN 1336-9245 25.3 (2022). Link: http://acta.fapz.uniag.sk/journal/article/view/61